Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Blogging is 'CB radio for the 21st century'?

Two things happened simultaneously while sitting on the patio of my favorite coffee shop. That they happened at the same time is somewhat eerie. I was watching the "Did you say Blog?" video (here), when an older lady walked by and, upon hearing the audio, asked, "Are you listening to the radio?"

The answer is really, "Yes, the 21st century version." I explained I was watching a video on the internet, and swiveled the laptop to show her.

"Oh, my, you can do anything with these, can't you?" she said.

"Yes," I told her.

"You can even pay your bills," she said.

"Or you can go to an online gambling site and gamble away the bill money, heh, heh," I said.

"Oh, my," she said, and walked away.

It's a true story that unfoled five minutes ago on a lazy afternoon in Orange County, California. So the lady has a 20th century sense of humor. No big deal.

The interesting thing about the video, which the nice old lady didn't stick around to watch, is that various blogger types were saying things like blogging makes everybody a journalist. Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit said that blogs have been derided as "CB radio for the 21st century." Well, he said, CB radio was revolutionary.

One guy said the chain of development went from Pony Express to telegraphs to radio to television to the blogosphere. I guess he forgot about CB.

I just don't know about all that. I don't feel like a pioneer or a revolutionary. I just feel like an angry dumbass who may have lost his wife because of this goddamned blog.

Maybe I am a pioneer. I plan to continue this depraved experiment.

No comments: